Mink Mood

Happy New Year everyone!
It’s been exciting times here in New Bedford. I attended First Night at our world famous Whaling Museum. It was a really cold night and I was happy to wear a mink coat that I just restored. Some of you may already figured out that I just love to make old things new. I also like it when we can wear something that has a story. I've had this coat hanging in my closet for a couple of years now. I wasn't sure what to do with it. A few years ago, I saw the coat hanging on the sidewalk at one of our local thrift vendors on Acushnet Avenue. I spotted it as my husband was driving past it. I couldn't believe it. I quickly had him turn around the block and pull over. The mink was still in a half decent condition. The lining however, was old and falling apart. I bargained with the guy and paid only $20 bucks for it. Wow!!! Was I happy. I brought it home, tore off the lining and aired it out. This week I brought it out, home cleaned it the best I could and totally relined it. Most of the work was done by hand. The lining is a rich looking fabric from Joann’s Fabric. It’s a nice rich brocade. Expensive to use as a lining, but I thought, what the heck it’s for a mink coat. It’s worth it. This is the type of special coat you wear once or twice a year. It has to be extremely cold and you have to be in a
mink mood to wear it. It’s very heavy. First Night was a good night to bring it out. It sure got it’s share of attention. I only have one picture wearing it, but sometimes you only need one good picture to share the moment.

As for next week’s project, I’ll give you a sneak preview. I’m working on a fleece coat from an old pattern of Donna Karen from the late 90’s. I actually made this coat in 1996. It was a great coat and I remember my sister-in-law Angela liked it so much I ended up passing it along to her. Interestingly enough, she gave me a Christmas gift card for Joann’s Fabrics, I thought why not make another one similar to connect us to some good memories. Well, let’s see how it goes. Meanwhile, I hope everyone enjoys the weekend and as always, thank you for sharing in my sewing journey. Debora


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress