Made in the USA - with Azorean Pride

Hello everyone! I’m still working with the same vintage 1960’s pattern Simplicity# 1284. This is the third time using the same pattern and I’m just as excited about it. This week I used a beautiful stretch weave material that my sister Dorinda gave me as a gift from her latest trip to the Azores. Anyone familiar with the Azores, the islands of Portugal, knows sewing is still a big part of many people’s life’s . That’s where my sewing roots originated. Going back just a couple of generations, both my grandmothers, aunts, cousins and sisters all were brought up learning how to sew.  It was out of necessity of course. But it’s such a great gift to enjoy and share with others. Some of the women in the islands  are also great weavers, knitters and embroiders.




  As for this weeks dress, I like the black yoke contrast. I hope to experiment more with that. This pattern is becoming easier to assemble as I go along. The pattern is now perfectly fitted to my body. The whole dress is self-lined with an invisible zipper on the back as well as side pockets that I added to the pattern myself. The dress is very comfortable and after wearing it to a couple of events, I plan on making great use of it on daily basis.




Well, that’s it for the sewing news out of the sewing room this week, I hope all of you have a great weekend and as always thank you for sharing in our sewing journey. Debora


Silly Sewing Sisters 
Ok, this is too cute. This is my sister who actually brought the material from the Azores. She finally got around to making herself a skirt. We couldn’t help ourselves, we just had to take these fun pictures.  Sew special.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress