The Plaid Dress

Hello everyone!
I successfully completed this weeks project, “the plaid dress.” I’m really pleased with the way it came out. It is one of my first attempts into sewing with plaids in years. The hardest part is in the cutting. You have to match all your pieces right on the cutting table. Once that is done, your well on your way as with any other garment.

 
 Butterick pattern B5852 is a great pattern to work with. I’m sure I’ll use it again sometime in the future. I liked the top more than the skirt bottom. Unfortunately, bias skirts are unforgiving to curves. The other part that can get complicated is the four corner gussets. It requires a lot of patience. I also want to mention that I underlined the neckline both front and back with canvas material. The foundation makes for a great “V” neck fit. And as always I added 4” boning all around the midriff, which I attached to the lining.


Now, for next week’s project. I have some left over plaid material which I cut up a skirt from this “Very Easy” Vogue V8928 pattern. This is such a great skirt pattern to work with.

I’m liking it so much that I’ve transferred it to a cotton fabric to use as the pattern. This allows for me to add several inches to the hemline as well as to reuse the pattern without any alterations and not have to worry about ruining the pattern tissue paper from too much use. Anyone who uses the same pattern over and over again knows how easily patterns can tear. I plan on making several of these skirts.
 

Many years ago, I had a collection of long skirts with an open slit in the front. I felt so nice in them. You can easily wear them with tights and boots this time of year. They also wear well with just about any style sandals or shoes.
 

 
 

 
I selected this other plaid material with a snazzy lime color lining. The open front exposes the lining. It’s a nice way to add color or even a fun pattern from underneath. I think I’m going to have a lot of fun exploring with this new pattern. I can tell you the cut itself is a perfect fit. It overlaps in the front and closes with a back zipper. I’m going to add different color zippers in the back to add some fun with the matching underlining.

 

Well, that’s it for now. I’m hoping to wear my new plaid dress tomorrow and take some pictures of the beautiful autumn changing color of the season. I think it’s a perfect setting for the plaid dress. I’m so happy with it. It thought me a lot about planning ahead, being patient and even with we think that things aren’t going to work because they don’t line up as we want them to, they still fit well together. Sewing is a great connector to life. It makes you live in the moment. You create with what you have and grow from it. I just love what sewing offers. I feel so much better as a person too. Anyways, sewing is a lot of fun. I hope I’m inspiring you to find fun in your own sewing projects. It doesn’t have to be hard. All you need is a little planning, some material and willing hands. Well that’s it for this week’s sewing story. I hope that all of you have a great weekend and as always, thank you for sharing in my sewing journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress