“Pitter Patter”

Hello everyone. Hope you had a good week. Like most of you, I’m sure, my week went by too quickly. I didn’t have as much time for sewing as I would have liked. Even so, I’m happy to have the chance to make this beautiful simple kimono. It’s called “Pitter Patter” by Waverly fabrics. I can see why they named it “Pitter Patter.” It takes you to that special place by the pond full of life and just enough soft rain to wake you up to see it‘s full glory. It’s easily wearable with an old pair of jeans. It’s cut at the waistline, which makes it an everyday versatile wardrobe piece. The fabric is from JoAnn’s fabric store. It came from the upholstery department. Great strong durable cotton. Can’t wait to wear it.


 
Also this week, my new cloth cutting machine came in. My old one broke on me and even after I had it repaired, I damaged it again. I can’t do without one of these. This cutting machine is the best investment for any serious sewist. I love having the best tools avaible when I’m creating. It saves valuable time as well as precious hands. Any artist can appreciate that.

 
This morning, I was playing around with the thought of next weeks project and just started draping this beautiful cotton print fabric. It is titled “Michi Kanji.” I had no idea what it meant, until I looked it up. It has something to do with “path,” or “road” in connotation to some sort of spiritual path. Sounds good to me. I was hoping it meant something special. I really liked the fabric pattern as well as the red and black mix of color. Something about red and black is always so sharp looking.


I got so excited about draping, that I just kept going until I came up with what you see before you. Now, I must warn you, draping is one thing, sewing is another. It looks great on the dressform. However, dressforms as we all know are lifeless hard pieces of cardboard wrapped tight in perfect linen. The human body is so alive with flesh and incredible movement, beautiful in all its different shapes and forms.
 
I’m not sure where I’m going with this style just yet. I envision zippers. Maybe around the front neckline as well as the side slits and another in the back. I want to make this dress as fitted as possible. I placed some darts on both front and back as well as sides. Can’t wait for the first fitting.




Well, that’s it for this week folks. I’m happy to hear from some of you who are enjoying following these posts. It’s also very exciting and encouraging to see some of you in person giving me feedback. I had one lady tell me she would like to see me make some more matching bags to my dresses. Love it. I think she’s onto something. There’s’ always something special about a complete matching outfit. It definitely says “homemade.” Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for sharing in my personal sewing journey.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress