The “Michi Kanji” Dress


Hello everyone! Just a quick sewing update. It’s been a while since I’ve sewn for myself. I’ve been busy. However, I’m enjoying wearing all my dresses. I wore this dress last night to special event. You may remember, I made this dress in 2014. I’m attaching last night’s picture to the original post. It’s interesting to follow the life of a homemade dress. I can tell you that they last a lot longer than store bought dresses. They fit better too. I have an emotional attachment to them. After all, it’s something one makes and follows through a long process from idea to fabric to dress. The other interesting thing, I’m very cautious about maintaining my weight. I’d hate to not fit into them. It’s not something that is easily replaceable. In closing, I am working on another 1920’s style dress. I hope to have it ready soon. Give me a couple more weeks. Meanwhile, I hope your exploring new ideas and creating things only you can create… and as always, thank you for sharing in our sewing journey. Debora

 





The “Michi Kanji” Dress

Here it is folks. After a fun week of creating and sewing as you go, this is what I came up with. Just about everything was going by the original design, until I had the first fitting and did not like how fitted it actually was on the sides. I thought of just cutting up higher slits, but I wasn’t comfortable with that either. I would need to wear it with pants and I thought it would just make the outfit too heavy. So, I came up with the idea of fans on the sides. I thought that would be a perfect match and kind of interesting while walking in the dress. Sure enough it’s very visually interesting. So much so, it’s probably the most exotic looking dress I’ve ever made. Overall, I did not have much difficulty in sewing this dress. I used myself for all fittings. I did not use the dressform other than draping and displaying. The neckline is held together with a few snaps and there is an invisible side zipper.




I love how the fan flows as I walk and move in this dress. I just don’t know what kind of reaction I will get from people when I actually wear this thing. The sleeves are just below the elbows. At some point, if I choose, I can actually remove the sleeves and just keep the dress sleeveless. I left a finished edging around the armhole for that purpose. Just in case the dress just turns out to be too much to be seen.

Funny how once you start making your own clothe, people become more accepting about what you wear. So far, I’ve gotten nothing but wonderful smiles, complements and lots of surprises when I tell people that "I made it." This one is definitely a conversation piece. Well, that’s it for now. I’m already looking forwards to next week’s project. I have a couple of things in mind. Till then, thank you for sharing in my sewing journey. Enjoy.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress