Black and Gold Silk Dress

Hello everyone. I had a change of sewing plans this week. I put the “The Green Clover Dress” on hold while I followed an inspiration of making another dress from this incredible beautiful black and gold silk fabric I found last week at Bedford Fabrics in Fall River. I used a Simplicity pattern # 2178 from the Cynthia Rowley collection. When I first opened the pattern envelope, I was overwhelmed by the amount of pattern pieces and the directions. I just used the basic pieces and self lined the dress and tossed out the directions. I worked it to my body and it fits remarkably well. I just love the asymmetrical neckline. I extended the right shoulder strap by two inches and the bodice by three. The skirt is a designers disaster. It is not flattering or slimming. I added two side slits to make up for the bad design. Next week, when I work with the same pattern, I will replace the skirt all together. I’m also getting tired of working with bodices being cut too short. On the next dress, I’m going to see how I can bring the bodice down to the natural waistline. I think it will be more figure faltering. I’ve done it before with other patterns and liked the results. And finally, I got so excited about sewing this dress and making it fit just right that I never got around to placing the side zipper. The lining is a black stretch knit and allows for easy on and off without zipper. However, I’m not able to get this dress on the dressform. So everyone will just have to wait to see how it actually looks on when I wear it this upcoming weekend to a waterfront gala. As for the “The Green Clover Dress,” all it needs is some minor details and should be completed in a day or two. Well, folks that’s all I have for right now. And as always, thanks for sharing in my sewing adventures and I hope your just as inspired as I am to “just sew.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VOGUE V9266

It's a true winner - Vogue V9266

Honeycomb Smocking Dress